Alabama Chapter Of
The Association of
When considering Alabama foresters you need to know more about The Association of Consulting Foresters (ACF), the only national organization for consulting foresters, was founded in 1948 by and for practicing foresters who work on this great nation’s 430 million acres of privately held lands. Membership in the association is limited to professional foresters who serve the general public in all woodland-related interests.
ACF Mission Statement
The mission of the Association of Consulting Foresters of America, Inc. is to advance the practice of professional consulting forestry; to establish and maintain high ethical standards for its members; to improve the competency of and provide a forum for its members; and to promote and encourage stewardship of the forest resource.
Find an Alabama Forester
Use our forester locator to find someone near you.
It’s more than a forest . . . it’s your future generations to come!
Benefits of Using a Consulting Forester
Consulting Foresters can be used to manage your forest and represent you in all forestry matters, or they can assist your forestry projects. They can provide expert advice, as well as execute projects in your forest. Consultants frequently assist during timber sales, since mistakes there can have a devastating affect on your forest’s future health and present and future income from your forestland investment.
Unless you are a professional forester who happens to own your own Tree Farm, there are at least three occasions when you would benefit from hiring a consulting forester:
- when you plant trees,
- when you thin trees,
- when you harvest trees.
The professional forestry assistance a landowner receives from a consulting forester will frequently pay for itself by increasing financial returns and other benefits from their forest land.
A timber harvest generates more income when a consulting forester assists with the marketing of the timber. A consulting forester can provide detailed recommendations to help insure that the residual forest conditions are in line with the owner’s objectives. A consulting forester can provide an appropriate sale contract and sale administration. During the timber harvest, the forester can periodically inspect the logging for contract compliance. This is a critical step in managing your forestland. Once the wrong trees are cut, it can take many years to recover.
Services provided by consultants may include, but are not limited to the following:
Some of the services mentioned here require additional licenses through governmental boards and agencies. Check carefully to ensure the consultant you employ has the appropriate license for the service offered.
- Appraisals of value-land and timber.
- Acquisition of forest land-appraising and purchasing.
- Computer services–forestry applications.
- Environmental impact studies.
- Environmental regulatory compliance–erosion and sedimentation control requirements, and wetlands regulations.
- Estimates of timber value–economic studies.
- Insect and disease control.
- Prescribed burning
- Litigation–serving as expert witness on forest and property litigation problems.
- Management of forest resources (timber, wildlife, water and others).
- Timber stand improvement.
- Forest regeneration.
- Timber sales and marketing other forest products.
- Road layout and construction.
- Taxation counseling for all forestry situations.
- Urban forestry.
- Timber trespass.
- Timber damage evaluation–fire, wind, insect, disease.